Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Back to school money saving on snacks

So its that time of year again.., back to school.

I cringe at the thought of all the money that goes into this time of year. I for one do not like having to spend so much for so little.

I've been making my kids snacks, and finding frugal ways to save on these types of things.
As a frugal mom I found a few things that work well for me, and still let me be the "cool" mom ;)

Snack sized treats/pre-packaged for lunches.. NEVER buy them. They are a total waste of money.
Instead trying getting some snack sized or regular sized ziplock bags from your local dollar store, and buying crackers like goldfish, or cookies, or teddy grahams in the regular sized bags, and just adding the serving size to the baggies. Your money will go a lot further. Sure those pre-packaged bags are great for people who are in a rush, but that's all its good for. Take 5 minutes once a week and divided up those treats yourself. 1 box of 6 pre-packaged bags of goldfish or teddy grahams are $3.49 - $4.79 while a bag of goldfish, or a bag of teddy grahams (I'm talking the big/regular sized bags) are the same price, if not CHEAPER and you get more for your money!

at my local grocery store the pre-packaged ones are $4.59, and the Big bags are $4.29 (teddy grahams)  hmm this is a no brainer to me, but I find myself shaking my head at others who just don't see how much they can save. By serving size I can get 8 servings of teddy graham treats out of a bag that I pay less for already. Why pay more, seems silly to me. Plus I believe that the little pre-packaged bags are 25 or 26 grams, while the serving size on the regular bags are 30 grams.

I also make my kids rice krispie snacks. 1 box of rice krispies, 5 bags of marshmallows and just enough butter to make all the squares is around $10 - $15 depending on sales. Now why in the world would you go out and buy a box of 8 rice krispie treats for $2.50 - $4.50. Craziness. And the great thing about making your own, is you can add sprinkles, chocolate chips, whatever you want!


 photo teddy-grahams-graham-snacks-59472.jpg

 photo photo-1.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment